Sunday, October 23, 2005

Books Update

I feel like I can't, or don't, or won't, or don't have the time to read as much, which sucks. I have delusions that I might have the day to lounge by a sunny window reading a classic like Anna Karenina (which I've started a dozen times the past 5 years) or just plain reading something enjoyable. Seems I have neither the time, nor can I find something engrossing like the days of Sweet Valley High and Babysitters Club.

I did read:

Book #8 - Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- which I finished in 3 days, over the summer. This book was much better than the previous, a much less whinier Harry, good solid plot line - I was hooked.

Book #9 - The Mermaid Chair
- which I did not like at all, but I had started the book, so it was a sympathy finish. I finished it on the Vegas trip. It was painful, maybe because it was about an older woman going through a mid-life crisis, maybe it was because the book's plot felt so obviously contrived - I hate when books do that. Sue Monk Kidd's other book Secret Life of Bees was sooooo much better. I like how one Amazon reviewer puts it "Loved Life of Bees, but this is Daniel Steel."

I think I need to have Jelly Belly's around the house more often.

We had a family baby shower yesterday. It was a lot of fun. Friends shower to occur at a later date. I'll write more about that later...let's just say the highlight was watching my Uncle F. crawling on his knees like a baby....whoa! Can't get that image out of my head.

And I'm getting a little tired of the Spam commenters...must be a way to remedy that nuisance.

Homage to the Jelly Belly:




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum, Yum, Yum !!!
Jelly Belly's are the best! Like them all; but have to say that buttered popcorn is my best flavor!
I'm on my way to get some Jelly Belly's. Bye!

Anonymous said...

i loved sweet valley high books! why don't they make those for adults?

thanks for your book reviews. i'm still working on 'the secret life of bees'...actually...i haven't even started it yet. :)