Tuesday, October 24, 2006

8 months old

and we partied in Port Aransas - too quickly went the time. But there was a lot of time for funny hats. More teeth are a coming in, 2 at one time, and there is lots of drool. Finally, the little guy is sleeping in the crib, not with us anymore. We had a cry over that. He was sooo warm and cuddly. But he'd also wake up at start scratching or slapping our faces.

Apparently he was a little terror in day care yesterday, scratched one baby's eyelid, pulled another's hair, and shook another one. I hope this doesn't become a habit.

What is it like to be 8 months old?

How I grow

  • I crawl backwards and forwards on my stomach.
  • I pull myself up by holding onto furniture, but it is hard for me to get back down. (He's good at getting back down)
  • I can stand up if I lean against something.
  • I can sit without support for several minutes (all the time)
  • I reach for things and hold them with my thumb, index, and middle fingers.
  • I hold onto a toy, like a rattle, for several minutes.
  • I pick up small things like pieces of string or crumbs. (ewww, yes, today he was playing with a dead spider)

How I talk

  • I let you know if l am happy, sad, or scared by the sounds that I make. (or grumpy)
  • I still babble a lot and shout to get attention. (our little scream factory)
  • I say two syllable sounds like ba-ba, da-da, and ma-ma. (he forgot how to say mama -bah!_
  • I recognize some words. (working on No!_
  • I watch and try to imitate your mouth movements. (oh yeah, that's funny, when I am chewing gum, then he starts chewing like he has gum)

How I respond

  • I like to pat and kiss my reflection in the mirror.
  • I turn and listen when I hear familiar sounds like the telephone or my name.
  • I love to imitate people I know.

How I understand

  • I am very curious and I want to explore everything.
  • I know how to solve simple problems, such as making a toy bell ring.
  • I understand the meaning of "in" and "out." ( I don't think he can do this)
  • I remember things that just happened.

How I feel

  • I'm often scared by new experiences and new people. (no fear here, a little too fearless if you ask me)
  • I'm upset when you leave me, even for a short time. (not yet, maybe something still to come)
  • I feel so relieved when you return.
  • I'm upset when people make a lot of fuss over me. (no, I think he quite loves the attention - a little divo)
  • I get frustrated or lose my temper if my toy rolls under the couch and I can't see it. (most times, but he is easily distracted by another toy)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on getting him out of your bed! We still haven't accomplished that with our little one!

-your secret pal