Saturday, February 11, 2006

Apples

Did you know there are over 7,500 know cultivators of the apple? I really like apples, and I have taken to trying and buying a different apple each week we go to Central Market. Central Market has about 15 different types of apple. I was a regular buyer of the Granny Smith apple. But I have challenged myself to try some different apples, the Grannies can get tiresome.

Recently I have tried:

Pink Lady Apples - These apples are firm with a sweet and sour flavoring. I am of fan of crispy, crispy sweet apples. So lo and behold this is not one of my more favorite apples. It would receive a 7 or 8 on my apple meter. "This is a cross between a Golden Delicious and a Lady William."

Jazz Apples - Apparently this is an apple created in New Zealand, bred from a Royal Gala and Braeburn apple. I LOVE this apple, it is sweet, juicy, and crunchy-crispy. MMMM!! It reminds me of Honeycrisp Apples - another lovely little apple, that is sweet and super crispy. "Taste: Jazz begins with a sweet Gala rush that carries over to a tangy effervescence. Its crispness and crunch are unbeatable." A 10 ++ apple!

Rome Beauty - This apple was boring. It had little flavor and it was way too soft for my tastes. Upon researching it on the net I have learned this apple is "primarily a cooking apple" and its "flavor enhances with a touch of sugar or honey." A little history on the Rome Beauty: "A tree planted in Rome, Ohio, in the 1820s, sent up a shoot from below the graft-the part of the tree that is not supposed to bear fruit. Orchardists generally lop these unwanted shoots off, but this branch survived to bear beautiful red fruit." While deciptively beautiful, it's still crap. Maybe I'll have to try it with some honey and sugar. For it fails my apple test - I'll give it a 1 - because I'll give it one more chance with some honey.

1 comment:

Abram said...

My favorites are Braeburn and Granny Smith. They're kind of commonplace I guess though. Mostly I like the crunchy apples.